Shit like this makes me so homesick.
Most guys do not have to deal with the world of women. They’re born from us, they live around us, but for the most part, we take care of our own shit. We buy our own tampons. We deal with skeevy guys who catcall us. We deal with crappier work situations. We deal with getting told we suck at things because we have a vagina, and that we need to be prettier.
Even when these guys married, they still married someone who dealt with this stuff solo. There might be stories and gripe sessions, but they tended to try to equate some part of their experience to the woman’s. Sure, you’re told to be beautiful, but I’m told to lift heavy things! Same, right?
Then, they had daughters.
Kids are very good at not dealing with their own shit. It’s not their job. It’s yours. Suddenly, you’re shoved into a toy aisle where there’s nary a Lego or car or building block, but instead, rows and rows of dead-eyed dolls. You realize how hard it is to find play clothes for a girl, because everything seems to be optimized for ‘cute’ rather than ‘comfort.’ You hear people compliment your daughter only on how pretty she is, and never on how smart or clever she is.
The girl goes to school, and you watch how she’s never called on. You hear someone insult someone else by calling them ‘a girl’, and it stings. Your little girl is awesome! She’s brave and smart and funny! Why would anyone use that as an insult? Then, you remember all the times you did it.
And then, you realize that, all along, you’ve been a part of the problem.
So, it’s not a perfect way to get men to be more aware of feminism. It would be better if they were raised into it. But it’s still a way.
|—||Jezebel commentor kcunning, on the recent study showing that men with daughters and boys with sisters are more likely to show more generous, caring and gentle tendencies. (via misandry-mermaid)|
|—||Ernest Hemingway, The Sun Also Rises (via greyhues)|
I think we need to invent a game called ‘shatner’
Someone yells ‘SHATNER’ at you and then you have to overact whatever you were doing
i am in
Just in case you don’t know what this real advertisement for beer is based on click here.
That glorious moment when you stumble upon a long lost photobucket and delve inside to discover its hidden treasures.
(oilauren I love how you go all bad-man-ting at the end!)
Take me out of the oven because I am fucking DONE people.
usa gets silver:
russia gets silver:
chinese get silver:
british get bronze:
when someone yells STOP i never know if its in the name of love, or if its hammertime
HUGE JACKMAN IS THE BEST
Sweet Jesus is there anything this man can’t do?
In light of it being the Oscars tonight we have dedicated this playlist to either movie OST’s or features in movies…
PLAYLIST 7: W/C 18/02/13
1. Comptine d’un Autre Été: L’Après Midi - Yann Tiersen (The Fabulous Life of Amelie)
2. Top Gun Anthem - Harold Faltermeyer (Top Gun) *
3. Circle Of Life - Hans Zimmer (The Lion King)
4. Skyfall - Adele (Skyfall)
5. Gonna Fly Now - Bill Conti (Rocky Movie Series)
6. (I’ve Had) The Time of My Life - Bill Medley & Jennifer Warnes (Dirty Dancing)
7. I Will Always Love You - Whitney Houston (The Bodyguard)
* This one caused a serious divide in the office (we have some diehard Top Gun fans!) as to wether the ‘Anthem’ or ‘Highway To The Danger Zone’ were the official track. So please see also, Highway To The Dangerzone - Kenny Loggins. (Now, hopefully, all are happy and I can get back to stemming the nose bleeds and icing the black eyes…)
My contribution to this years oscars! Love this!
1. Hoppipolla – Sigur Ross
2. Sorrow – The National
3. NYC - Brolin
4. Angeles – Elliot Smith
5. Becoming A Jackal – Villagers
6. Havana Burning – Dan Reeder
7. Zebra – Beach House
As it nears the end of what has been a very busy week for us here at APAW we bring you a somewhat subdued/chilled playlist this week!
Just what I need after a hideously stressful week!